24 November 2014

Healthy Eating Part Two!

A couple of posts ago I wrote about how hard it is to try and eat healthily whilst being at university and showed just a couple of things I was doing to try and stay healthy.

Well, since then I have returned back home for the summer and being healthy has become A LOT easier (mainly because my mum food shops).  So I thought I would give another little post about some of the things I have been eating and doing to try and stay healthy for summer.
Now as a disclaimer I should say that I am in no way a health guru or some nutritionist - this is just simply what I've been doing.

Let's start with EXERCISE:

Recently I moved house further out into the countryside so doing exercise has become a bit harder.  I'm further away from the gym and, as I can't drive for a year (epilepsy - booo!), it has become a bit of a pain to ask to be dropped there.  It's also extremely dangerous to run around the roads that I live around as they're small winding country roads, so I've been trying to just go to classes at the gym which I find so much better than just going for a run.
I've also downloaded a yoga app on my iPad so I've been able to do that in the comfort of my own home.  I've been obsessed with yoga for ages now and I know a lot of people don't see it as exercise but trust me, it is PERFECT for toning - don't knock it until you try it!

Now, FOOD/DRINK:

Obviously, as my mum has been cooking my dinners, they're a lot more healthy than my uni pastas and rice so that's helped a lot!  I won't give a huge list of what I've been having but I will tell you about my breakfasts.
I used to always have pastries for breakfast which are so yummy but not really that healthy (don't get me wrong, I will still devour a pastry).  But I thought I should start my day off being a bit nicer to myself so I've now become an absolute Greek yoghurt/fruit/honey addict.
Fair enough, the Greek yoghurt and honey isn't too healthy (especially considering I eat the full fat one), but you can make it healthy by getting the 0% fat one!

Few scoops of yoghurt, a handful of raspberries, strawberries and blueberries and a decent drizzling of honey and you have yourself the nicest, most refreshing brekkie!


I've also become the biggest smoothie addict.  Now I'm not talking supermarket bought smoothies, I'm talking freshly made smoothies.  For my birthday I got a Breville Blend Active blender (website here) and I can honestly say it is one of the best presents I've got.  I've always wanted to make my own smoothies but the whole blender-cleaning situation put me off (I'm pretty lazy) and so the Blend Active is PERFECT because you blend it in the bottle you drink from so it's perfect to take away with you and requires almost no cleaning. 
I've tried a couple of recipes (which I'll give below) but my favourite has to be the Antioxidant Smoothie.

Recipe One:

200ml apple juice
100ml plain/vanilla yoghurt
Handful of frozen strawberries
One small banana
A drizzle of honey
BLEND!


Antioxidant Smoothie:

300ml apple juice
One small banana
Handful of raspberries
Handful of strawberries
Handful of blueberries
BLEND!


I would highly recommend this blender for any budding smoothie makers and there are SO many more recipes I'm going to try so I will keep you all updated.

As well has healthy eating and exercising, I have been trying to detox.  After about 9 months of intense uni drinking, I think summer is the perfect time to detox - no one wants an alcohol tummy on the beach!
So I have cut down my drinking massively and been trying to drink lots more water.

So remember guys, every once in a while you gotta be nice to your body!

 photo d48a3143-a9df-430c-9ae2-e54c643a65fb.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...