11 December 2013

Beauty Review: My Skin Top Tips



A while ago, I wrote a post about my normal skin routine and I covered what I normally use on my skin, but recently my skin has got really quite bad so I thought I would do an update as well as my top tips!

Recently I changed my skin routine and thought I was being kind to myself by adding a scrub into my routine (the Neutrogena Visibly Clear Spot Stress Control Daily Scrub) but it didn't really react well with my skin and made me totally break out.  I thought it would be the best one as I already use the Neutrogena Visibly Clear Spot Stress Control 3-in-1 Daily Cleansing Lotion so it was keeping in with the brand but my skin did not think the same.  I still use the cleansing lotion but have now cut out the scrub, and I'm still an adamant user of the Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes and Garnier Moisture Match facial moisturiser.

So now you have my updated skin routine, I'm going to give you what I think are my top tips when it comes to looking after skin.

Top Tip #1 - Be kind to your skin

Try not to use really harsh products on your skin - it's super sensitive so try to use natural products.  The harsher the products you put on your face, the less it will rely on your natural skin oils!

Top Tip #2 - Have days off

Try not to wear a full face of make up all day everyday - if you are just staying in or not really doing much in the day, don't wear any make up until absolutely necessary.  When you put on make up, your pores will get all clogged up and therefore you'll break out more.  I try and only wear make up when I'm actually going out in public and during the day this is very basic face make up and when I'm out at night I add a bit more to it.

Top Tip #3 - Have a treat every so often

Treat your face to a nice treat such as a face mask or a deep cleanse every so often.  If you've been going out a lot or being a bit harsh to your skin, have a pamper day!  But, be super careful because your skin may react to certain ingredients in products you don't normally use.

Top Tip #4 - Stick to what you know

If you have a skin routine that has worked for you for forever, do not change it!  I made this mistake recently, like I said above, and thought I was being super kind to my skin by adding in an exfoliator thinking oh it's fine, it's within the same range as my other products...NO!  Some products may work but its a risky move to take (I'm now suffering with the consequences).

Top Tip #5 - Early nights, healthy food, water

These are, essentially, the three main "products" that are going to get your skin back to the beautiful canvas it used to be.  If you're a bit run down and tired, go to bed early and have a long sleep.  The later you go to bed, the more tired you'll get and the more run down you'll get so no matter how tired (or not tired) you are, sleep!
Cut out lots of chocolate and unhealthy food from your diet and start eating more vegetables and fruit.  You need to get your health back and not be filling your body with horrible sugars (but don't completely cut it out, we all need that bit of chocolate now and again :)).
One of the biggest mistakes I make is not drinking enough water.  We're meant to drink about 2 litres of water every single day and I can safely say that I do not do this.  Diet Coke is normally my weakness which, to be honest, isn't as bad as some other fizzy drinks but I should really substitute it for water as this will make your skin healthier and not dry out which essentially causes breakouts.

Top Tip #6 - Worst comes to the worst, seek advice

I've sometimes had to visit a doctor because of my skin and it's not something to brush off.  Some people may think that it's only skin, it's not something to see a doctor about but you're wrong!  You can take antibiotics to help clear up skin and also there are medical gels that can help.  I know so many people who have gone to doctors about it and they think why didn't they do it earlier.
One time I had such a horrible break out that it caused an infection around my eye (ew sorry) but it was because I left it that it got so bad so don't just dismiss it - go get advice!

Soooo....there you have my skin top tips!  Do not just think oh it's fine my skin will clear up because sometimes it won't and most of the time you have to do things to make it better.  Don't just ignore what could be fixed quickly!
 photo signature.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...